Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Flying Bridge and My Christmas Stuff

So some engineering types agreed a large concrete bridge needed to built across a canyon near my home. To do this large sections of the concrete bridge were to be flown by helicopter from the site where they were made to the canyon.

Points to note:
  • There is no canyon near my house
  • No way in hell could a regular helicopter (which this one was) carry segments of concrete this large

The glitch in the system though was that the rope from the helicopter couldn't be tied around the concrete in the centre of the segments. This meant that the weight of the concrete wasn't evenly distributed and hung at an angle. How do you fix such a problem? Easy!! Stop over at the local home for the elderly beings and have them sit on the concrete segments to even out the weight! Duh!

So anyway, as one segment was flying over the top of my backyard, the pilot noted that one of the elderly siting on the concrete was too light. This meant one side was dropping too low and pulling the helicopter down. Because of this, the helicopter couldn't pull it's rotar up quick enough to get high enough to get over the slanted land that is at the rear of our section [my house is sorta on a hill, kinda...]. So to solve this problem they lowered the concrete segment into our backyard, had one of the elederly clumber off (there were about 4 of them on there), and my eldest brother, J.T[22/m], climbed on instead. They then flew off.

As this debacle was taking place in my backyard, I'd left my posy in front of the computer screen and joined my family and dog as a spectator. After the event had passed mum asked me to finish cleaning my room. I turned and looked down the length of the deck, outside each of our bedroom doors were black rubbish bags, filled and tied at the top. My mum called to me saying "I've just left all your christmas things in those bags, take them in and sort them."

So I returned to my posy at the computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home